Dennis brings extensive experience in basic materials having served clients across geographies and commodities, including zinc, nickel, aluminum, iron ore, coal, and steel. He has led full-potential operational transformations, both digital and non-digital, from diagnostics to assessing what it will take to deliver and implement impact. He has advised clients in Europe, Africa, and Australia, and is currently based in the Middle East.
Examples of Dennis’s recent work include the following:
- Leading a large-scale operational turnaround at a base metals organization across multiple smelting assets—including benchmarking technical and operational performance, assessing maintenance efficiencies, and optimizing organizational structure—and coaching the client team to build a detailed, line-owned implementation plan
- Building an advanced raw materials value-in-use model for a global non-ferrous metal producer to optimize sourcing strategy, involving operations, technology, finance, and commercial stakeholders
- Leading digital operations transformation programs at multiple major metals and mining clients, covering all key dimensions of Industry 4.0
- Delivering advanced analytics use cases across multiple batch and continuous production lines, applying advanced analytics to develop new operational insights, unlocking between 5–15 percent throughput increase and yield benefits
- Digitizing the way of working by bringing design thinking experts to factory floors to improve frontline pain points, raise productivity, and support integration of advanced analytics insights into operations
- Delivering advanced-analytics academy training modules for both management and technical profiles, to enable scale-up
- Revising maintenance strategies on mobile equipment for a globally leading company using advanced analytics
Before joining McKinsey, Dennis worked at BHP and Vale. He is a native Dutch speaker and fluent in English, Italian, and French. In his spare time he puts his engineering passion to work in a wide range of home projects with an equally wide range of outcomes, to the amusement of his wife and two daughters.